The Happier Lancashire movement aims to boost happiness and increase awareness of the Five Ways to Wellbeing. The Five Ways are evidence-based actions, developed by the New Economics Foundation that can make a positive difference to our wellbeing if carried out on a regular basis.
Our Community Development Team deliver short talks for schools and community groups, introducing these simple daily actions and helping people to think of ways in which they can boost their own and others mental wellbeing.
The Five Ways to Wellbeing
Positive relationships are important for keeping up our spirits. Take time to engage with others and express an interest. Making an effort to be sociable and really listen will improve your sense of wellbeing.
- Embrace the moment and have a chat
- Ask someone how they are feeling and really listen
- Speak to someone new and find a shared interest
Exercise not only keeps our bodies healthy, it makes us feel good too. Incorporate low-impact physical activity into daily life. Getting out and about or simply moving more will boost your mood.
- Do some stretches or go for a walk
- Join a rambling group or running club
- Organise a group sporting activity
Being mindful and observant allows us to appreciate the world around us. Reflect on what it is you value and make positive choices. Savouring the moment and enjoying the environment will enhance your self-understanding.
- Explore your local area and visit new places
- Appreciate nature and wildlife
- Think how other people might be feeling
Gaining new skills or developing existing talents enhances self-esteem and builds confidence. Set a goal, make a plan and learn something new. Continued learning throughout life will satisfy your curiosity and encourage social interaction.
- Read a book
- Research a subject
- Sign up for a course or class
Sharing our time, energy, knowledge or wealth gives us purpose and makes us feel valued. Participation in social and community life will increase your wellbeing and make you feel good. Committing an act of kindness not only makes someone else happy but boosts your own wellbeing too.
- Compliment or praise someone
- Offer your help or assistance
- Get involved with a community project